Maybe you heard a friend talk about his or her experience with BOTOX® Cosmetic-and you think your friend looks great-but before you try it for yourself, first you’d like to know more about it. BOTOX® Cosmetic is a non-surgical, physician-administered cosmetic treatment for moderate to severe frown lines between the brows in people ages 18 to 65. BOTOX® Cosmetic works by reducing the contractions of the muscles that cause those persistent frown lines that have developed over time.
XEOMIN® (incobotulinumtoxinA) for injection, for intramuscular use, is a prescription medication that is injected into facial muscles for the temporary improvement in the appearance of moderate to severe glabellar lines (frown lines) in adult patients.
XEOMIN® should be administered no more frequently than every three months.
Why Your Skin Ages
One day you looked in the mirror and studied those lines that furrowed your brow, and you wondered: Where did they come from?
Is it just aging? Too much sun? Too much stress? In general, how skin ages and wrinkles is a complex process. It isn’t just about cellular changes, collagen depletion, hormone loss, damage caused by free radicals, and so on; it’s a combination of many factors.
The Anatomy of your Wrinkles
The lines that appear between your brows (glabellar lines) actually result from muscle movement and the passage of time. You may have heard the expression “wearing your emotions on your sleeve,” but in reality you wear them on your face. If you’re angry or annoyed, for example, you knit your brows together. Underneath your skin, your facial muscles contract, cause a pleating of the overlying skin, and then, as anyone can see, you’re frowning.
After years of crinkling and wrinkling, those glabellar lines start to linger longer and can become more pronounced. For women, whose faces tend to be more animated than men’s, and whose skin is typically more delicate, these lines may appear exaggerated and more permanent.
Fortunately, there is a way to reduce moderate to severe glabellar lines. Treatment with BOTOX® Cosmetic can visibly smooth and soften moderate to severe frown lines between your brows. An improvement can be seen within days and may last up to 4 months, although results may vary. In clinical trials, nearly 90% of men and women surveyed rated the improvement in the appearance of frown lines between their brows as moderate to better 1 month after treatment.
What to Expect at Our Office
Before you schedule your first BOTOX® Cosmetic treatment, you will probably have some questions, such as: How long will it take? How long will the results last? Will it hurt? Will I still be able to make facial expressions?
Here’s what you might expect at our office from the moment you arrive until your procedure is done.
- The day of your appointment. Allow time before your appointment for filling out forms and for consulting with Dr. Baynham or a member of his staff. If you would like to save time in our waiting room take advantage of our on-line forms on this website. If it’s your initial visit, you may first meet with Dr. Baynham personally or a staff member.
- You will also be asked about your expectations for treatment and if you have any allergies or any condition that wouldn’t make you a good candidate for BOTOX® Cosmetic.
- Before the procedure. No anesthesia is required, although Dr. Baynham may choose to numb the area with a cold pack or anesthetic cream.
- The procedure. Dr. Baynham will determine where to administer the injections by examining your ability to move certain muscles in your brow area. The entire BOTOX® Cosmetic injection procedure takes approximately 10 minutes.
- After the procedure. There’s no recovery time needed. You’re ready to get on with your day! Seeing results. Within days, you may notice an improvement in the moderate to severe frown lines between your brows that can last up to 4 months. Results may vary.
The Injection Process
The beauty of a BOTOX® Cosmetic treatment is that it’s a simple, 10-minute, non-surgical process. A few tiny injections, and within days there can be a noticeable improvement in the moderate to severe frown lines between the brows that can last up to 4 months. Results may vary. And there’s no recovery time. You can even do it on your lunch break.
- Dr. Baynham will administer several tiny injections of BOTOX® Cosmetic directly into the muscles that cause those moderate to severe frown lines between the brows.
- Dr. Baynham will determine where to administer the injections by examining your ability to move certain muscles in your brow area. The location, size, and use of the muscles that create a furrowed brow vary markedly among individuals.
- No anesthesia is required, although Dr. Baynham may choose to numb the area with a cold pack or anesthetic cream prior to injecting. Discomfort is usually minimal and brief. Most patients compare the sensation to a pin prick.
- You may resume normal activity immediately. You may see a marked improvement in the moderate to severe frown lines between your brows within days. Improvement may continue for as long as a month, and could last up to 4 months.
How Often is Treatment Recommended?
If you’re pleased with the results of a BOTOX® Cosmetic treatment, you’ll probably want to get on a treatment schedule so you can keep on being pleased.
Take a look at men and women who’ve had BOTOX® Cosmetic treatments, and see for yourself!
If you discontinue treatment, the frown lines between your brows gradually will look like they did before treatment.
Don’t wait for a special occasion to use BOTOX® Cosmetic. Contact Dr. Baynham about a BOTOX® Cosmetic treatment today.